Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Chocolate Cake

There are so many recipes for Chocolate Cake. This was one that I had clipped from my Taste of Home magazine and since we had company coming over, I thought I would give it a go. I'm so glad I did! It was a HUGE hit. I was in a hurry so I frosted the cake when it was a little bit warm. The result? It was similar to a molten chocolate lava cake at Chili's. Delicious! I found the recipe online here.

3 layers of chocolate bliss.


Chocolate Cake
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups packed brown sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour (I used half of my Millet Sorghum flour and half of my Best results flour recipes)
3/4 cup baking cocoa
3 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups sour cream
1-1/3 cups boiling water (I used Choffy instead)
FROSTING:
1/2 cup butter, cubed
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
5 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

HOW TO PREPARE:
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans.
2. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Stir in water (or Choffy) until blended.
3. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
4. For frosting, bring water to a boil in a pot and then top with a double boiler pan. Melt butter and chocolates; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
5. In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, sour cream and vanilla. Add chocolate mixture; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment