Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Crepes

Crepes have been a family birthday tradition since I was a child. When my son, Keith, requested crepes for his birthday this past week, I wasn't surprised, but I was a bit worried how my old recipe would fare with a switch to gluten free. The results were delicious! They actually taste more like Blini - the Russian version of crepes. They are a bit thicker and have a more egg-flavor. I loved eating them plain. But they are also delicious with blended strawberries and whip cream. Yum!

These are more difficult to make large, so I made them smaller. So good.

Crepes
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup GF Manini's flour (contains xanthan gum)
1/2 cup GF rice-based flour, such as Cup 4 Cup (contains xanthan gum)
½ tsp salt
Powdered sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
5 tbsp melted butter
Strawberries, blended with water and a little sugar
Whip cream, sweetened

HOW TO PREPARE:
Sift flour, salt & 2 tbsp powdered sugar together. Beat eggs until light. Add milk, mixing well. Add butter. If batter is too thick, add more milk until it is pourable. 

Pour in enough batter to cover bottom of 8 inch hot greased frying pan or a griddle. Brown crepes to color desired. Repeat until all batter is used. Let cool. Spoon blended strawberries in middle of crepes and roll up. Top with whip cream or powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment