Saturday, July 13, 2013

Amish Breakfast Casserole

I've begun a tradition on Saturdays of trying out a new breakfast recipe. I made this last week and it was a big hit. For a family of 5, I halved the recipe and it was perfect. I found the recipe here, but I have made modifications that you will see below.



Amish Breakfast Casserole
12 Servings
Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
INGREDIENTS:
1 pound sliced bacon, diced
1 medium sweet onion, chopped (I used 1 tbsp dehydrated onions, yum)
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
1-1/4 cups shredded cheese (I used colby jack, my favorite)

HOW TO PREPARE:
In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.

Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 273 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 153 mg cholesterol, 477 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 18 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment