Sunday, July 14, 2013

Horchata (Mexican Rice Drink)

I discovered Horchata about 12 years ago in Utah. There was this fabulous 24 hour Mexican restaurant called BETO'S. I asked about a white drink in the fountain and they said it was Horchata. I tried it and I was in love! Since then, it has been difficult to find a restaurant to buy the drink - so I started making my own. Big thanks to Martha Stewart for sharing it in her magazine this month! :)

Horchata
INGREDIENTS:
• 4 cups whole milk
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
• 1/2 cup rice or almond flour
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• Ice cubes
• Garnish: ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks
• Milk – add to taste (I added quite a bit – I thought it was too sweet, otherwise)

HOW TO PREPARE:
1. Bring whole milk and cinnamon stick to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, and transfer to a bowl. Whisk in condensed milk, flour, and vanilla. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Strain mixture through a fine sieve. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Garnish with ground cinnamon and cinnamon sticks.

Photo found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment