Sunday, July 14, 2013

Tiny French Beans with Smoked Sausage

I like recipes that involve new ingredients for me. With regards to this recipe that involves the "shallot". To be perfectly honest with you - I had no idea what a shallot was and I thought it sounded like a name of a fish. When I found this recipe, I knew that all the other ingredients looked good - so I googled "shallot" and found out that it's a type of onion (I think) and was able to find it in my local grocery store. This recipe is definitely a keeper recipe. It's hearty, smells fabulous, and the taste is unbeatable! There, now that I've talked it up - make it and see for yourself.

Photo found here.

Tiny French Beans with Smoked Sausage
INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds smoked sausage, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (I use just 1 pound and it's less salty that way)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup minced shallots
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups dried flageolets or other dried white beans
2 cups water
1/4 cup minced fresh or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
29 oz GF* chicken broth

HOW TO PREPARE:
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan, and place in an electric slow cooker (it called for a 5 quart, but I used a 4 quart and it worked perfectly). Heat the oil in pan over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Sort and wash beans. Add beans, shallot mixture, water, and the remaining ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 8 hours or until beans are tender. Yield: 8 servings.

Nutritional Information - Calories: 397; Calories from fat: 30%; Fat: 13.1g; Saturated fat: 3.7g; Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g; Polyunsaturated fat: 3.7g; Protein: 29.7g; Carbohydrate: 41.4g; Fiber: 8.6g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Iron: 5.2mg; Sodium: 1105mg; Calcium: 143mg

GF* = Gluten Free

No comments:

Post a Comment