Cheesy Corn and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces pepper Jack, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- 8 8-inch corn tortillas
- HOW TO PREPARE:
- 1. In a bowl, coarsely mash beans with a potato masher. Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat; add corn and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until corn begins to brown. Add corn to bowl with beans.
- 2. In same skillet, warm oil. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer. Stir mixture into bowl with beans and corn. Let mixture cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
- 3. When cool, stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper. Preheat oven to 200ºF. Spread a tortilla out on a work surface and spread a 1/2-cup portion of bean mixture over half. Fold tortilla in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas and bean mixture. Warm a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook as many tortillas as fit in skillet, 3 minutes, then flip quesadillas and cook until golden brown and crispy and cheese is melting, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Place quesadillas on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven while you cook remaining quesadillas. Cut into wedges and serve.