Saturday, July 13, 2013

Crockpot Refried Beans

I love refried beans. Whenever I go to a Mexican restaurant, I always ask for them. And then I mourn when I eat them and they're all gone. Those serving sizes are SO small, aren't they? Well, now you can control your serving sizes of refried beans. You're welcome. I found the recipe here.

Photo found here.


Crockpot Refried Beans
INGREDIENTS:
3 cups of Pinto beans 
5 cups water
4 cups chicken broth
1 onion, diced finely (I use 3 tbsp dehydrated onion)
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup salted butter
HOW TO PREPARE:

Photo found here.

1.) Rinse your beans. Spread them out on a cookie sheet and pull out all the discolored ones. You might find rocks and other random stuff in your beans (especially if you buy the cheaper beans) – so don’t skip this step.
2.) Combine everything (except butter) in the crockpot. Cook on HIGH for 8 hours. Add more water if you need (I didn’t need to add additional water).
3.) When beans have popped open and are soft, they are done. Put butter in the crockpot and cover with lid. Let it sit until melted.
4.) You can either mash them with a potato masher, use a food processor or use an immersion blender. I used the immersion blender, right in the slow cooker crock and it was a cinch! Add extra water if you need to get the consistency you want.

Photo found here.

5.) Eat! We usually make these with quesadillas, but they are great alone or with any Mexican dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment